Fiberglass bird skull headress

Fiberglass bird skull headress

After two months in the boatyard and countless hours working on Tie Fighter, I counted myself among the fiberglass pros. It only took a week back in the water before I was ready for my next fiberglass project – something a little less structural this time around.

Burning Man was just around the corner so my brainstorming immediately gravitated to something along those lines. What I finally came up with was a bird skull headdress ringed with flowers.

My main goals were to flex my fiberglass skills while making something beautiful and comfortable.

I started out by making a mold in the shape of a bird’s head to lay the fiberglass over. I’m sure there are better ways to do it, but I made it with tin foil and masking tape since that’s what I had on hand. I made sure the final foil mold sat comfortably on my head, then I went straight to laying out the fiberglass and epoxy. I did several coats, letting each thoroughly dry in between. Next I pulled the fiberglass off the mold, used a dremel to cut off the sharp edges, and finally sanded the whole thing down. I had originally planned to wire the flowers to the fiberglass but found that I was not able to get the look I wanted so ultimately ended up just hot gluing them in to place.

I love the way it turned out!

Trying the fiberglass bird skull on for fit

Positioning the flowers

The final product with flowers, on location at Burning Man

Our new garden!

Last year Drew built a shelf in the far back cabin with the intention of having a garden. Now we have finally gotten around to completing the project.

We decided that we should use planters so that we can move them outdoors if necessary. After a lot of research I settled on a wicking system that uses the soils own capillary ability to move water from below, up through the soil, ultimately reaching the plants roots.

I started with two nesting bins for each planter. There is a 2.5″ gap between the two bins. The top bin holds the soil and plants while the lower bin holds the water. For the wicking tunnel I used 2″ diameter PVC pipe cut into 2.5″ lengths with holes drilled all around. I cut 1.75″ holes in the base of the inner bin and attached the PVC pieces to each hole. I then covered the PVC pipe with nylon mesh to prevent the soil from leaking out into the reservoir. Finally, I drilled a 1″ hole in the inner bin and inserted a length of 1″ PVC pipe that reaches from the base of the outer bin to the top of the inner bin. This allows me to fill the reservoir without pouring water over the surface of the soil, thereby prevent nutrients from being leached from the soil.

So far it is working well. Because of the reservoir, I rarely have to worry about watering, although since the seeds are newly sprouted I do occasionally mist them lightly. I’ve planted cilantro, chives, parsley, baby carrots, spinach, lettuce, broccoli and tomatoes. All the seeds except for the cilantro have sprouted so I expect we will be getting some fresh veggies in the next couple of months!

Drilling the holes in the 2" PVC

Holes drilled!

Attaching the PVC to the bins

Creating filters to prevent soil leakage

Waiting for the glue to dry

Completed garden!

Baby carrots sprouting up